How to Rid your Computer of the Autorun Virus.
Whats is The AutoRun Virus Exactly?
Most of us who are Users of Windows operating System in Kenya have come across this notorious virus by the name AutoRun. But what is this AutoRun virus?
Auto run is actually a genuine Microsoft Windows text file that commands the system to operate CDs, DVDs and USBs. At its creation it actually was a selling point of Microsoft Windows that took the Computer World by Storm. However it soon turned into a nightmare when hackers exploited this by creating a virus that corrupted this file and allowed viruses to automatically spread to Flash drives and other removable media. Talk of a blessing turned into a Curse!
How Does The Autorun Virus Work?
According to Kaspersky labs the Autorun virus -known as Worm.Win32.autorun computer speak,infects computers in the following way:
This file virus is a Windows PE EXE file. The file is 380 416 bytes in size. It is written in Delphi.
- When launched, the virus copies its executable file as follows:
- It also creates the following file:
- When this file is run, it will launch a copy of the virus:
- In order to ensure that the virus is launched automatically when the system is rebooted, it adds a link to its executable file to the system registry:
[HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnce] "Worms" = "%System%logon.bat"
- The virus also creates the following files:
%System%configautorun.inf h:autorun.inf f:autorun.inf i:autorun.inf g:autorun.inf k:autorun.inf l:autorun.inf o:autorun.inf j:autorun.inf
- These files will be launched each time the user opens the corresponding hard disk partition using Windows Explorer. When one of these files is run, it will launch a copy of the virus: %System%configcsrss.exe.
How to Delete the AutoRun Virus?
Removing the Virus can be achieved in either of the following ways:
1. Using a Robust Antivirus.
Based on personal experience I would recommend the following Antivirus for use on Windows operating systems in Kenya:
- Avira Free Antivirus-I love this antivirus for being light but very effective.
- AVG antivirus-Effective but might slow down your PC.
- Kaspersky-Very good but very resource intensive and also is not free.
- Microsoft Security Essentials-An antivirus from Microsoft that I Love for utilizing several Antivirus Engines in one, and lets be honest who better knows Windows more than Microsoft.
- Symantec and Norton Antivirus-Heavy and expensive and from experience not very effective as most viruses make compromising them their first order of business.
- Mcfee- No different from symantec.
This list is not in the least exhaustive and many more Antivirus applications, some free and most licensed exist out there.
2.Using the Manual Method to remove the Autorun Virus.
- Use Task manager to terminate the virus process.
- Delete the original virus file.
- Delete the following parameters from the system registry .
[HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem]DisableTaskMgr = 1
[HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer]NoFolderOptions = 1
[HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnce]”Worms” = “%System%logon.bat”
- Delete the following files:
%System%configcsrss.exe %WinDir%mediaarona.exe %System%logon.bat %System%configautorun.inf h:autorun.inf f:autorun.inf i:autorun.inf g:autorun.inf k:autorun.inf l:autorun.inf o:autorun.inf j:autorun.inf
- Update your antivirus databases and perform a full scan of the computer.
Keeping the Aurorun Virus Away.
Ensure that you restart you Computer immediately after you delete the antivirus to ensure the virus is completely removed,otherwise you will be forced to repeat the process again.
Are you having Problems with Viruses, and your antivirus does not seem to be doing any good,Call in the Experts.Talk to us Tarakilishihub on 0726474697/0770288896
Hope you are able to deal with the Autorun Virus once and for all.